Thursday, September 27, 2012

Adventures in Pressure Cooking

Ok. So I made meat chili last night and it was delicious but a tad bit too hot for my tastes. If I make it again, I'll cut back on the chilies. We all LOVED the flavors the pressure cooker created BUT we couldn't finish it. Too hot. Crazy hot. My lips were vibrating.

The cooker worked fine. Perfectly. It did everything it was supposed to do and in a timely fashion which is why we all want them, right? Convenience. We want good food but we want it fast but we don't want fast food. (You see where I went with that? Yeah. I'm clever.)

Brett and I have an appointment with our attorney this evening (no worries, it's just regarding the sale of our old house) so I wont be cooking tonight BUT tomorrow night, I am going to make Pork chops. I'm excited about it.

The pork chop recipe is sinfully simple. Just chops, an onion, potatoes and some steak sauce. And of course water. I have discovered that an onion is universal ingredient in most (if not all) pressure cooker recipes. It's always there - 2nd or 3rd on the list. One onion. We love our damn onions.

Finding recipes has been fairly simple. There are dozens of websites that focus on this method of cooking. One I am particularly intrigued with is Hip Pressure Cooking. They don't have A LOT of recipes but it looks promising. They vary from the norm you see out there. It's not all mac & cheese recipes and boiled chicken. Because, I don't know about you, but boiled chicken makes me want to retch. The meat is fine but the skin and the bones are like something out of a Texas Chainsaw Massacre. Revolting.

Anyway.

It's nearly October and that means scary books, scary movies, the start of Pancake Sundays and warm, rich, comforting foods.

We'll see how it goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment